Random header image... Refresh for more!

Wall archives

52 comments

1 Misha { 12.28.08 at 3:49 pm }

cleaning up the look and feel. things are going to be appearing and disappearing for a while…

2 Season { 12.31.08 at 10:11 am }

Wow, a post the same day you went to a restaurant. Impressive.

3 ChuckEats { 12.31.08 at 1:07 pm }

love the new look – nice and clean.

4 tara { 01.02.09 at 6:10 pm }

“Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!” Not really, that’s just what first came to mind.

5 Misha { 01.03.09 at 12:02 am }

Texas shrimp industry is dying.

6 Misha { 01.05.09 at 3:02 am }

Heading out to SF for a few days, then on to Sydney. Awesomeness.

7 Jon { 01.05.09 at 12:17 pm }

Do you mean the look and feel of the site, or of Misha?

8 Misha { 01.05.09 at 11:49 pm }

9 Robert { 01.07.09 at 10:16 am }

Would love to hear about Vetri. I seen you mentioned the veal on Chuck’s site.

10 augie { 01.10.09 at 12:35 pm }

Did you dine at Bedford?

11 Misha { 01.10.09 at 4:48 pm }

Augie: I did go to Bedford. It was a good meal, but didn’t blow me away. The kitchen seems to be far more stable than at Soma. The prices seem to be pretty reasonable to make it a regular, rather than a special occasion destination. I’ll definitely be back.

12 Matt { 01.17.09 at 12:41 am }

That’s how I know the end of the world is near. The Texas Shrimp Industry is failing. Lame ass.

13 Misha { 01.27.09 at 2:02 am }

Going back to Le Reve tonight. Awesome.

14 Eric { 01.27.09 at 9:20 am }

Check out the Press section of Le Reve’s website. They link to a post on Alison Cook’s blog where you mention them in the comments.

15 Misha { 01.27.09 at 9:32 am }

Ok thats seriously odd. It’s like a two line comment in a post about Feast…

16 Chris { 02.02.09 at 2:16 pm }

Your photos are awfully nice. What camera are you using?

17 Misha { 02.03.09 at 11:18 am }

It’s just a Canon compact. Nothing special.

18 Misha { 02.06.09 at 6:08 pm }

David Chang is full of shit.

19 neverfull { 02.07.09 at 11:54 pm }

nice rebranding but that flower header photo is gay.

20 Misha { 02.08.09 at 4:16 pm }
21 Justin { 02.10.09 at 11:30 pm }

Full of shit howso? I had an absolutely stellar meal at ssam about a year and a half ago. Although I guess you could probably attribute that more to Tien Ho than Chang.

22 Misha { 02.11.09 at 9:34 am }

I didn’t think Ko was as amazing as everyone thinks it is.

23 Misha { 02.11.09 at 9:34 am }

And I am really tired of seeing the boy wonder everywhere doing his shtick.

24 Jenn { 02.12.09 at 8:05 pm }

I gave Mix a try – quite good!

25 Bryan { 03.13.09 at 3:38 pm }

While vlaamse frieten are awesome, I’m disappointed you did not review the pickled herring in Amsterdam

26 Misha { 03.13.09 at 5:19 pm }

It’s coming! Part of the post on the Albert Cuyp market.

27 Eva { 04.02.09 at 12:53 pm }

albert cuyp post, eh, where art thou?

28 Misha { 04.02.09 at 3:33 pm }

Oh brother. Its coming:)

29 Brad Blodgett { 04.05.09 at 10:20 am }

I have enjoyed your writing for several months now and thought I’d ask if you currently have any “must eat at” restaurants in Paris.

30 Misha { 04.05.09 at 4:56 pm }

Brad, thanks for reading. This is going to be long. Better switch to full page mode.

There are a ton of must eat places in Paris, unfortunately I went in August when most restaurants were closed. The places I really wanted to visit were Pierre Gagnaire and L’Astrance. Both were closed for holiday.

Best meal I had there was at Le Bristol, which recently got it’s third star. L’Arpege was very good, but a few things misfired at this meal. Still, if you like subtle flavors and don’t mind paying extreme money for extremely fresh produce, it’s probably worth a visit. Allain Passard is just as iconic as Thomas Keller in the US, so think of it as a mandatory pilgrimage. Le Gaigne was the biggest surprise of the trip. It’s a tiny bistronomique restaurant run by an ex-Gagnaire chef. The food is outstanding, prices are very low for Paris E49 for a 5 course meal. Le Chateuabriand, Le Comptoir du Relais and La Regalade would be in the similar vein (haven’t been to these). I visited the London branch, but L’Aterlier de Joel Robuchon would be a great stop for a high end snack. If you have it in you to visit multiple restaurants in one night, they make it easy to have 3 small plates there and move on somewhere else later that night.

Falafel at L’As du Falafel will change the way you think about falafel and make everything else taste like hockey pucks in comparison. Go there at your own risk. Au Coins du Gourmets serves great Vietnamese/Laotian food and had by far the best service I experienced in Paris.

Two blogs from people with very reliable palates you can rely on almost 100% of the time are:

31 Vy { 05.13.09 at 11:28 am }

i always enjoy reading your material.

32 Julie { 05.28.09 at 3:08 pm }

Arpege!!!!!

33 Bean { 05.28.09 at 11:17 pm }

this is one of the best food blogs i’ve read in a while. the photos you’ve taken are remarkable. i will def. be coming back to read more

34 Ryan { 05.29.09 at 4:22 pm }

About Kata-nothing could be further from the truth. Anyone who thinks its the same as Azuma is fairly clueless. Their sushi chef Hori-San is the real deal- A hardcore, perfectionist, japanese bad ass. Former chef to the japanese consulate, #1 in his class at the most prestigious cooking school in japan, lauded and revered by local japanese, and very well reviewed by local and national publications. I saw someone tweet that Kata is almost the same is Azuma. Absolutely false.They have many exotic fish that nobody else carries, creative japanese tapas etc. (Unless fois gras and daikon in a reduction sauce is considered normal) The Robata menu is only in the beginning faze, they will have over 20 things later on.Excellent cold sake list. Go to the sushi bar, order an omakase from Hori-San, and then it will all make sense why he is without question the best sushi chef in this city.

35 simone rathle { 06.16.09 at 2:14 pm }

Hello Misha. How may I get in touch with you by email. I represent a number of chefs like John Besh in New Orleans to Jeff Tunks in DC. Also, I represent the Inn at Dos Brisas and would like to invite you to a dinner. Could you kindly reply. Thanks so much Simone

36 simone rathle { 06.16.09 at 2:15 pm }

PS I love your blog! So well done! Simone

37 Derekp { 06.24.09 at 1:24 pm }

I think i’ve seen this somewhere before…but it’s not bad at all

38 Dominc Juarez { 11.15.09 at 8:33 am }

This is for Rob Walsh, come see Chef Dominc at Masraffs

39 Eloninesee { 12.22.09 at 2:44 am }

awesome

Gavriil

40 Matt Timms { 04.26.10 at 9:51 am }

Hello- wanted to reach out and talk to you about the Bacon Takedown May 16 in Houston – hit me back if you can?

41 Barrett { 07.14.10 at 8:54 am }

I knew Alberto Baffoni when he was at Simposios, helped him with his computer some, he fed me some of the best food I’ve eaten. I’d heard he was catering, I’m getting married – any idea how to reach him or if he’s still in Houston?

42 Alex { 11.02.10 at 9:30 pm }

AlexanderF on twitter.

Have charity dinner @ Marcus’ on Sunday. You available? Wld be interesting to meet.

43 Addrienne { 05.06.11 at 3:03 pm }

At last! Someone who udnesrtnads! Thanks for posting!

44 Lori Lockerd { 01.09.12 at 1:56 pm }

Hello! I was hoping you could send me your email so I can shoot you a press release? My email is socialcult@gmail.com. Thanks!

45 Putrie { 02.17.12 at 7:07 pm }

As senoome who just left Houston in December and has been lucky enough to move to the Rose City and join the greatest fans of the greatest club on Earth, I thought I might add a few things NASA: Well, I’ll caveat this with I worked there prior to moving so take that for what it is if you have the time, go the chance to see where the beginning portions of humanity’s exploration of the stars began and to sit in the control room where the Apollo and Shuttle missions were led is still awe inspiring to many and I highly recommend walk the length of the mighty Saturn V they have on display and see just how tiny the command capsule was and think about spending 20 days stuffed into that small space, 1/4 million miles away from Earth the future of NASA is very unclear right now, so seeing things like this while they are around is definitely something to do if possibleHEAT: Like nothing I can describe at 7 PM in Houston, it should feel something like living on Venus and it’ll cool off to a nice 90+ at around midnight. Definitely be prepared and hydrated if you have never been to the US South in the summer, it is hard to truly describe the heat and humidity are smotheringRobertson Stadium: The stadium is near Hobby Airport and the original poster is correct this is a rough neighborhood cabs are hard to come by near the stadium and should be scheduled well in advance. Do not consider walking especially at night unless in a very large group and even then, maybe not the best idea. Not trying to be fatalistic, but the stadium is not located in the safest of areas.Maple Leaf Pub: If you don’t have tickets, go here early and act Canadian the bar loves its hockey, but also loves football and many times has given away free tickets to both to myself and others. Also, a great spot to watch the match if you can’t get in since they will not likely ask you things like Why don’t they use their hands? which was an interesting question to try and answer during the 2010 World CupNiko Niko’s: Pretty excellent Greek food in the Montrose areaAlso, if you do get to go, I can definitely say that after having only been here for 8 months, a place like Houston, in my opinion, will only make you realize just how lucky we are to live in the Great Rose City and be a part of the Timber’s family!RCTID

46 Ilyesbnka { 02.18.12 at 3:52 am }

I exist teohrfere I eat! I am definitely an existential foodie. I have to _live_ my experience not just ..experience it. ha! I think that’s what makes blogging so much fun for me because I get a chance to go behind the scenes a bit. I’ve farmed (sort of); I’ve taken cooking classes; I’ve gone off the beaten path to avoid tourists traps; I’ve interviewed master chefs and watched them do their thing. All of it makes taking that first bite of something that much more magical!

47 Carmen { 08.21.12 at 7:36 am }

Misha, we would like to invite you (as our guest) to our Tasting the Town event. Please contact me for details. Thanks!

48 Pasarica { 09.21.12 at 5:27 pm }

hey i’m sorry i’m telling the truth but i’ll tell you what is rellay racist; Americans not wanting Mexicans in their country; but not minding the food that the mexicans bring over here, not minding the cheap labor that keep business whether small or large making money. What kind of message is America sending; stay out of our country but leave your food and cheap labor here. That’s the real racist message; btw how do you know he employs mexicans? he probably likes to bathe in jalapeno sauce.

49 Kazumi { 09.22.12 at 2:23 am }

Instead of ordering food from Texas, you slhoud come back home and eat it in the places where it was meant to be eaten. Though I would point out that you can also order fruitcake from the Collin Street Bakery in Corsicana and have been able to do so for decades, way predating the Internet.

50 Maria { 09.22.12 at 10:47 am }

Grimaldi’s has to have one of the most scenic views from just oustide the place as any pizzeria in the world. Your pic of the Grimaldi’s pie makes me hungry! :)Like you, I also think Grimaldi’s and John’s of Bleeker Street are close in quality (both good), but Patsy’s in Harlem and Tottono’s Coney Island location are another step up the quality ladder when it comes to classic coal fired brick oven NY pizza.

51 Makkornsari { 09.22.12 at 3:51 pm }

Great response, Matt. Thank you!You make very strnog points on the topic of culinary trends fading in and out. To even further your point, Ferran Adrie0 of elBulli temporarily closed his doors in Roses, Catalonia, Spain. (And, just think, elBulli is currently voted number 1 restaurant in the world.) It is rumored to be financial problems, seeing as he is now on the tour. I agree, culinary trends will ebb and flow, but to say that restaurants such as these are the downfall of D.C. dining is just bullocks. And even mentioning McDonald’s in the same sentence as Jose Andres is just poor taste.D.C. is blossoming as a food town at an incredible rate. Believe me, people here are ready for it! While we might be a little late housing overall experience restaurants such as Rogue24 and VOLT, these places are essential in the effort to put D.C. on the culinary map.While I feel Eli succeeded in starting a conversation with his article, I do not feel he merits a platform such as Huff Post to do so.

52 Shiori { 09.22.12 at 4:01 pm }

I was lucky enough to have been iientvd to Great-Granddaughter Sasha’s birthday party. We had a really great time and the food was delicious. Having never had tamales before, I know these had to be the best. Am looking forward to getting the recipes. And the cake was to die for. Heavy in texture, a big surprise in color, and really great tasting. Am so proud of Jamie and her adventuresome cooking.